Product tags are another way to relate products to each other, next to product categories and despite to categories, there is no hierarchy in tags.
As an example, if you are in a fashion or clothing business, you might have Cat Prints and could make a tag for
cat accordingly. Doing this will enable your customers who are interested in cats to quickly find all the relevant t-shirts, hoodies, and pants with cat prints.
Adding tags and categories is an essential part of setting up your online store. Tags and categories can help you organize your shop better, and they have an overall positive impact on your sales. Not to mention that tags, in particular, can play an important role in search engine optimization (SEO) of your store, helping you rank higher and get better visibility.
Add or edit tags
Tags can be managed by navigating to the Products » Tags screen and similar to tags on your posts, you can add, delete, and edit product tags as well.
- Log into your WordPress website and navigate to Products » Tags.
- Enter a Name.
- Optionally, enter a Slug.
- This is the URL-friendly version of the name.
- Click Add new tag button to save your new tag.
Table of tags
This table lists all of your product tags by row. Tags are displayed alphabetically by tag name.
The table of product tags contains the following columns:
- [ ✔] — A checkbox that when clicked (checked), selects that particular tag to be deleted with a bulk action.
- Name — The name of the tag.
- Description – Tags may have an optional description.
- Slug — The slug of a tag and usually in lower case letters.
- Count — The number of products which are members of the tag.
Search through tags
Above the table, to the right, is a search box where you can enter a word, or series of words, and click the “Search tags” button to search and display all the Tags meeting your search words.
The following fields can be modified via the Quick Edit section:
- Tag name — To reiterate, the tag name must be unique.
- Tag slug — Again, the tag slug also must be unique.
The Screen Options allow you to choose which columns are displayed, or not displayed, in the underlying Table. Clicking on the screen options tab will show a list of columns with a check-box next to each column.
Also, the number of tags to display in the Table of Tags can be set and modified from here.
While adding a new product via Products » Add Product, you can select one or multiple product tags from the list.
The taxonomy for product tag is
Custom slug for tag archives
Each tag has its own archive, viewable at:
product-tag section of the above URL structure can be adjusted by following the steps below:
- Log into your WordPress website and navigate to Settings » Permalinks.
- Scroll down until you locate the Product tag base text-field.
- From here you can configure the URL structure by modifying the default value.
- Click Save Settings to flush existing rewrite rules or permalinks.
product-tag base should not conflict with the other taxonomy permalink bases as WordPress requires something unique and distinctive to be entered for each base.
Last updated: 2 years ago